Cymbidium Enzan Forest ‘Majolica’

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Nik, Jul 2, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Aw c'mon, one more in their glory on Christmas day. :)

Nik likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Got to agree with Wendy, one last hurrah on Christmas day !!?

Nik likes this.
  3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Ok. Will do. Christmas Day.

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Nik

Nik Contributor

Jumping the gun by a day, but tomorrow is supposed to be pouring rain all day and much cloudier than today. Also, we had a nice and quiet Christmas Eve brunch instead of dinner, so now we are having a lazy afternoon. I decided to rotate the pot 180 degrees midway through the photo shoot, they are almost all open now, so it is safe. When they are unopened they alway orient themselves towards the light. I never mentioned how I grow them. The substrate is 100% Pinus radiata bark chips (from New Zealand), medium size, 1/2 to 1 inch in size. Watering is twice a week, every other time with diluted fertilizer. Occasionally a magnesium sulfate rinse. Every spring they go outside as soon as temperature is above freezing, and every fall they come inside just before temperature goes below freezing. Watering outside depends on the weather, according to the rain. They are in an unprotected spot with eastern exposure, more or less full sun good portion of the day.
    Next one coming up is a no ID giant green hybrid. Last photo is from a previous year. It is my husband’s favorite.
    Merry Christmas everyone! As much as it can be this year...

Attached Files:

wcutler and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

Beautiful N, such an elegant colourful specimen. A very merry Christmas to you and your husband also.

Nik likes this.
  6. wcutler

Thanks for our Christmas bouquet, @Nik, and for thinking of us in the middle of your holiday.

Nik likes this.
  7. Nik

Nik Contributor

The rain melted all the snow, and today is very sunny and cold outside. But very warm inside. Two more final shots for this thread. I will start another one for one of the other Cymbidium plants.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  8. wcutler

And more stalks coming too. What a rewarding plant.

Nik likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Good morning N, this has been a very welcome thread, it's certainly cheered everyone up seeing the progress and final blooms of this lovely plant. Thankyou.

PS, hope you had a lovely Christmas.

Nik likes this.
  10. Nik

Nik Contributor

This is the first of my Cymbidiums to be prepped for going back into the house. It is still very early, but it already has several flower spikes and they develop properly only indoors. What I do is clear debris from between the leaves and soak it for several hours in a bucket of water. The reason is to force any slugs, insects, toads and tree frogs out of the substrate.

Attached Files: