Cycas revoluta Polanation Question

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Dylan G, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

I am trying to polinate my female Cycas revoluta. I was able to get a male cone and I am trying to figure out if it is still viable. Does anyone know how to tell whether or not it is? I did see some fine dust fall out of it when it was shaken over the female cone, and I am assuming that this is the pollen. I know I can always wait and see if it produces viable seed.

Thank you for you help in advance,

Dylan

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Cycas revoluta Polanation Question

Probably now a matter of just waiting, with plenty of patience. The timing of pollination may be critical, if you dusted the pollen on before the female ovules were receptive, or after they stopped being so, it won't have worked. If you hit on the right time, then it will.

3. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

Re: Cycas revoluta Polanation Question

I have been shaking the male cone over the female cone daily for the past few days and pollen still appears to be coming out of it. I will wait and see what happens.

4. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

I'm posting an update with some pictures of the cone in July and one from today. I am still trying to figure out when the seeds will be ready to harvest and plant.

Attached Files:

5. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

The seeds will be ready to harvest when they basically fall off the "cone." This can take a year or more. They will not necessarily be viable as many cycads are pollinated by insects -- I am not sure about Cycas revoluta.

6. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

Thanks for the responce. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. As for pollination, I am hoping that I was successful since I shook a male cone over it for several days as it began to open.