cycads yellow bottom leaves

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by magnum5757, Sep 29, 2005.

1. magnum5757

magnum5757 Member

Hi This plant is fairly large, but the bottom leaves are turning yellow and it seems to be progressing upwards Ive only had this one a short while and am afraid of losing it any ideas??......PLEASE!! pot bound? I dont think so...too much water?? maybe..fertilizer ???? I need help on this one remember Im a seedling and new at this hobby

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  2. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

What kind of cycad is it? Have you changed its location recently? If you just purchased it, it may be adjusting to new environs. Yellow leaves can be due to many things but does not necessarily indicate a serious problem. First of all, do not over-water. Let the soil dry out between watering. Cycads are very susceptible to root rot. It may just be the change of season; lower light levels and cooler temperatures. Older leaves will eventually yellow and die but a new flush of leaves will replace them. Don't despair, your cycad is probably just going through a natural cycle. Even if all the leaves yellow and die, just cut them off, and a new ones will appear in spring. I repeat, above all, do not over-water. Cycads have survived for hundreds of millions of years, and yours very likely will, too.