Cutting the top off a ponytail tree

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by dhurt, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dhurt

dhurt Member

I have had my pony tail plant for over 10 years. It is about 8 feet tall becoming too tall for the area of my patio in which it sits. I like having it where it is. Can I cut the top off? If so how much? Will it go into shock? If so how can I prevent any damage?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I have seen a few 'accidental' prunings in my time on these and they always seem to come back. Just keep in mind that the plant won't need as much water until it begins to regrow. I would do this in spring when the plant will be growing and it will respond faster. Give it some fertiliser and back to regular watering once there are some fair sized shoots. Your plant will probably send several shoots which you can be selective and keep or remove for shape.
    I know there is dispute over the use of pruning sealant but with the likes of these it wouldn't hurt to seal the cut to prevent the trunk rotting after pruning but it's not an absolute necessity.
    I have tried a couple of times and heard of others trying also and maybe the rare success but generally the top will not regrow if planted. (if it did I'd say you'd probably loose the caudex)