curly leaf on tomato

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by marymary4868, May 16, 2008.

1. marymary4868

marymary4868 Member

I am having a problem w/ the leaves curling on some of the tomatoes I planted in my hot house. ( I have been keeping a fan going during hot weather,as it was in the 90's here in Or. yesterday. The leaves are staring to curl inward, there is no sign of any blight at all, the color looks good, but they don't look healthy , the volunteers on the other hand look very strong and healthy. ????? help

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I generally contibute leaf curl to watering practices. Actually it is a calcium deficiency, but usually not due to lack of calcium in the soil, just that the plant, due to maybe too much water at one time, the lower leaves get robbed of calcium.

This can occur with one heavy soaking. Tomatoes generally like constant moisture, which is difficult in pots. In the garden I now mulch so as to keep the moisture level reasonably constant.

Leaf curl does not get corrected, once there it stays. Further I have found that it doesn't affect tomatoe quality or production. The upper leaves and cluster of tomatoes form normally, but the plant appears a little sick looking lower down.

I normally have some leaf curl, but live with it. I even tried putting a calcium pill in the pot, but it probably made no difference. It usually come back to too much water at one time.