Curling ZZ leaves

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Angie Greenie, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Angie Greenie

Angie Greenie Member

My ZZ plant's leaves have become dull (not that bright shiny luster we all love) and most are curling up. I also have had a new shoot growing extremely slowly and now another shoot has appeared in the last week.

The plant gets good indirect light and is given about a cup of water on average once a month.

This is a new problem for me in growing Zamioculcas zamiifolia. Previous plants have done very well, stayed glossy and grew new shoots like crazy.

My main concern is about the dull and curling leaves. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Angie Greenie

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Angie, the majority of botanical garden curators now seem to be going the opposite direction and water much more frequently at least half the year. If you look the species up on UBC with the scientific name rather than ZZ you'll find where I've posted quotes from several of them. I would certainly consider giving the plant more frequent water and perhaps even brighter light. Also, make sure the soil contains some sand or is in cactus soil mix.

I've been watering mine daily during the summer for years and only back off on the water during the winter which matches their natural habitat. It actually is planted in my tropical atrium! The plant is thriving. Offer it more light and water and see if the plant turns around.

If you go to the UBC aroid forum you'll find one of my quotes just two threads below this one.

3. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

I have my ZZ plants outdoors and I water them every day during the hot weather and every other day during the not so hot days.
    I think the curling leaves are because your plant is thirsty

4. Angie Greenie

Angie Greenie Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I've moved my plant to a window and she's gotten a couple of good drinks too. Here's hoping for the best...

Angie