Curling leaves on trees

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by mec, Jun 27, 2007.

1. mec

mec Member

I have curling leaves without any spots or holes. This is occurring on my Japanese Flowering Dogwood, Japanese Red Maple and flowering weeping cherry tree.

The new leaves look normal, and the curled leaves on the dogwood and maple do not look diseased other than the curling. the new growth is normal. The dogwood has been growing well for at least 9 years. This is new this spring. The red maples have been growing well for at least 5-6 years. This is also new this spring. The cherry trees do look as if something is also eating the leaves.

We recently - last year and this year had a pachysandra blight. Do you think there is any connection? Any help will be appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe try New Jersey Cooperative Extension.

3. kbs

kbs Member

I have the same problem and I just planted mine this yr. in NC. But bugs are attacking mine too! Leaves are curling and they just look wilty!! Maybe someone will reply with an answer for some help.

4. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

I, also, am having the same problem, here in Ontario, Canada. My tree is about 4yrs old and has been growing very well even though it gets some afternoon sun and I keep it well watered. A month or so ago, all the leaves on one main branch curled and eventually died. I cut the branch right back. Now another main branch has all the leaves curled. If I cut this branch off, it will leave only 2 main branches and the tree will look very skimpy indeed. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

5. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

I, belatedly, surfed further down this forum and found lots of helpful comments regarding Japanese Maples. I suggest other post-ers do the same and not do as I did and post a question before checking if someone may have already answered the query. We learn something new every day!!