Curious insect damage on bean leaves

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by C8luvs2gardn, Aug 9, 2008.

1. C8luvs2gardn

C8luvs2gardn Active Member

I thought about posting this in the Pest Management forum, but at the moment I am only interested in finding out more about the insect who made the cuts in the leaves on my beans. They are all the same size, and on 2 of the 3 leaves the cuts are in exactly the same place on the leaf. I noticed a couple other leaves also have some damage same place same size same shape (not quite a half circle) thanks

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. C8luvs2gardn

Daniel,

The cut is exactly as you say. There are only a few, and they can make more without damaging the beans. the 'gingerbread' trim they are giving to the beans has only served to allow more light in and better for the beans! I've already gotten a few ideas for providing some nesting sites for these little busybodies.

Thanks for the info.
    Cate

4. C8luvs2gardn

I took a good look throughout the garden yesterday and doing a very quick count tallied about 35-50 little leaf-cutter bee cuts in the bean leaves, along with another 10-15 this morning.

These little bees seem to take the newest leaves (smaller cuts) or the cleanest leaves (bigger cuts) from the bush beans, the scarlet runners, and to a smaller extent from the leaves on the sweet peppers. I have not noticed any cuts on any of the other perennials or veggies in the garden. There is minimal damage, in fact not really damage at all. The edges of the cuts are clean and do not seem to harm the leaf the way the holes of the slugs/earwig/et.al. do.