Crow troubles....

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by cocobolo, Jul 20, 2008.

1. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

Does anyone have the solution to crows munching your plants?
    Is there anything simple that we can use to scare them away?
    My wife is upset that they came and destroyed all her small peppers yesterday morning.
    We keep most of the fruit covered with netting once it starts to ripen. But peppers? We never thought crows would go for those.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I have had great success in making up a few fake plants out of florist's leaves, then getting stones about the size of peppers, painting them red or green, and attaching them to my fake plants. I netted everything else, left the fakers out in the open, and the crows stopped coming after pecking the stones a few too many times. They just seemed to assume that all of my plants had stones instead of fruits.

I've done this in my strawberries as well, with red stones well ahead of the fruiting season, to discourage sparrows.

Apart from this, you can try a motion-activated sprinkler head like this one that douses them with water whenever they approach the garden; this works well on geese, so there's no reason it won't work on crows as well. And a little extra water never hurt anyone's plants...

Apart from this, getting a cat and letting it roam the garden is normally a good deterrent - big ginger tomcats are generally the least fearless and therefore the best-equipped to deal with crows. I've also had good luck with Abysinnians - basically any largish cat that comes from hunting stock.

3. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

For peppers and small plants I have found that a small tomato cage provides a sufficient deterrent making the plant difficult to reach. A few pieces of twine helps reduce the openings if needed.
    But if you can tell me how to motivate the cats to go after the crow I would love it? Mine just watch!

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's why I mention ginger cats, as they seem to be naturally predisposed to birding. My Abysinnian was only afraid of Magpies, and Thunderkitty (my friend's 3-legged ginger tom) was about 30 pounds and scared of nothing. I think you kind of have to get them used to the fact that some birds are food, or at least not desireable in your yard, when they're still kittens. Certainly that's what I did with my Abysinnian; she never went after Robins, but loved to chase the sparrows and crows.

5. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

We already have a dog, but she wouldn't harm anything. So I don't think a cat is in the offing.
    We will try the rock trick, no shortage of those around here.
    Is there anything you can do with tinfoil? Would that keep them away?

6. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

Oh Lorax, you are adding cat training to your many talents!
    My cats try to catch humming birds, fall in the pool, get stung by bees...well you get the picture. ( BTW 2 of them are orange)

Tinfoil, CDs, any visual deterrent will work for a short time. They rapidly realize that there is no danger.

I will also try the stone approach. If nothing else it is different and entertaining.