Croton Petra disease? Please help ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MJ94, May 7, 2022.

1. MJ94

MJ94 New Member

Hey, long time lurker and new member here.

I've had a Croton petra in my home for a few years now and it recently (a few months) started to develop reddish discoloration at the periphery of leaves (older/lower > younger/higher) with a speckled pattern.

This discolouration eventually leads to yellowing of the leaf and leaf drop. Fearing a mite infestation, I tried safer's end all (pyrethrin and potassium soap).

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this (Pathogen, infestation physiology, etc)?

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Welcome, @MJ94. Are you saying it doesn't happen on the younger leaves? The older leaves have to die off. The plant looks nice with the stems fully covered down to the soil, but it can't stay that way. It looks pretty good on top.

3. MJ94

MJ94 New Member

Thanks for the response @wcutler !

It was initially only a few lower leaves but has spread upward involving most of the leaves except the youngest of them all.

Nothing has really changed other than the season and it's in the same spot it's been for a while. I appreciate the reassurance :)

I'll keep an eye out for significant defoliation or stunted growth.

4. MJ94

MJ94 New Member

Here's a relatively young leaf with the same reddish discolouration starting in the periphery with the brown speckled appearance.

It just doesn't look the same as old-age leaf drop that occurred in the past for me. :(

Attached Files: