Crop rotation advice

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Mister Green, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Mister Green

Mister Green Active Member

I've been reading several sources about crop rotation and there doesn't seem to be consensus as to what type of vegetables are grouped together and what group follows what each year. Does anyone have some advice on how to group the following veggies and what follows what:

Kale/Swiss Chard/Tomatoes/Peas/Onions/Zucchini/Potatoes

Thanks.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

This should help to explain a few of your questions.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/homes/story.html?id=24af8bc4-5277-4464-a89b-259bc0e79874

It's a pretty good article and may help to explain some of the questions you have.

Cheers

Kim

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  4. Mister Green

Here's my first attempt at a crop rotation chart. I'm trying to keep it fairly simple for my first structured veggie garden. Does the grouping and sequencing look okay?

Attached Files:

5. Blue Fox

Blue Fox Member

From personal experience I can safely say: don't follow potatoes with onions! I had a disaster with this, as the potatoes that remained in the bed came up and the onions were buried in leafy potato growth. Having said that, the potatoes were great - in fact, they had virtually no scab compared to the newly planted ones. Sometimes a disaster turns out quite well!
    Also, make sure you use dolomite lime, (not hydrated lime) to add calcium to your tomatoes.

6. Mister Green

Thank you for all your great links and tips. I am keeping it really simple this spring. I have a crop rotation plan with four sections: kale, zucchini, peas and tomatoes. If the kale is finished by late May, I will plant scallions there. If the peas are finished by early June, I will plant swiss chard there.

7. gringamuyloca

gringamuyloca Member

To keep things easy...
    roots:.... onions, potatoes, carrots, beets, radishes, etc
    leaves:.. lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, greens etc
    seeds:.... peas, beans, zucchini, melons, tomatoes, peppers etc

The rotation:
    the 'roots' where the 'leaves' were.
    the 'leaves' where the 'seeds' were
    the 'seeds' where the 'roots were

I am not saying this is the best way, but it works for me and is very easy to remember.
    I am not a 'production' gardener, but I have good results and haven't had pest problems or other troubles.

Cheers,

Tamara

8. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Re "seeds" following "roots", tomatoes and peppers should never follow potatoes, since they are all in the same family and susceptible to the same diseases.

9. andycandy101

andycandy101 New Member