Crimped Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by toolsarepleasant, Oct 2, 2007.

1. toolsarepleasant

toolsarepleasant Member

I need help and can't find any proper info on the net. My palm's leaves are stunted and crimped. It looks like it's dying a horrible death. I don't know how old the tree is or any of her history - I just moved to the house in her yard. The tree's about 3 feet in diameter and about 12 feet tall. The leaves are dark, dark, dark green and sparse, crimped and waxy. Any ideas?

Thank you!

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Is it in a pot or in the ground and do you have a photo?

Ed

3. toolsarepleasant

toolsarepleasant Member

It's in the ground. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. There's a giant sycamore tree next to the palm and he looks fantastic. I don't get it. Hopefully when I get you a visual it'll help.

Thanks!

4. edleigh7

I have a lot of palms and have encountered this problem before. It usually is because it is root bound in a pot. It sometimes still occurs a couple of months after a plant them in the ground, even. If it looks like it has been in the ground for a while, maybe the sycamore tree is sucking all the goodness out of the soil or its roots are cramping your palms style, someone else on here might know. Look forward to the photo...

Ed

5. toolsarepleasant

toolsarepleasant Member

I'm ridiculous. In my worry over the palm and my frustration with the lack of info on it's health I didn't even fully check out this post. Do you suppose conditions are different in Australia than in bloody Florida? Sheesh. I'm doing so well as a new home/tree owner, ay? :)
    I'm sending the pic anyway (once I take it). I need help. I don't want this gorgeous tree to die on my watch.

Thanks for hanging.

6. edleigh7

I'd say the problem is universal, if its what I think it is, and I'd say Florida wouldn't be too different to Brisbane QLD. We are sub tropical...

Ed

7. toolsarepleasant

toolsarepleasant Member

Hi Ed,
    I've a picture finally if you're still around to help. Sorry it took so long - moving makes everything discombobulated.

The more I see her, the more I think there's no saving her. Let me know if these pics help you at all.

Thanks very much,
    Kim Brown

Attached Files:

8. edleigh7

Thats exactly the same symptoms that I have with rootbound plants. As to why yours is doing it I'm not sure, sorry. Someone else may have to chime in here...

Ed