Crepe Myrtle Tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by sungodess134, Sep 11, 2008.

1. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

I received a crepe myrtle tree from the Arbor Day Foundation, just about two years ago. I followed all the instructions and it is doing good. The next step is to move the tree to its permanent spot, herein lies the problem. This is my baby, all 4 of the other trees died and this is the only one that made it. We don't plan on living in my house forever, in fact would like to move quite soon, and I would like to take it with me. Can I place it in a container, will it thrive if I do, how big do I need to make it, since I don't have any idea when we might move? thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's in the ground now? Dig and pot up during winter, when leafless. Use a pot bigger than rootball you get when digging it up, and coarse medium intended for use in containers.

3. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

yes, it is in the ground right now. I live in S. Fla will it still get leafless, without a true winter season, would this be the best time to transplant it anyway? It might end up in this container for a few years, so I want it to continue to grow and thrive, is this possible? thanks again.