crazy white thing on my lemon tree and night jasmine

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by plant rookie, Aug 4, 2009.

1. plant rookie

plant rookie Member

i just noticed these little white thing on my lemon tree and night jasmine but i'm not sure what it is.. any help from you guys would be greatly apreciated.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Scale bugs. Poking them with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol will kill them dead and knock them off the plants. If you have lots and lots of them, spraying with alcohol might be the answer. You'll have to do this a couple of times in order to catch the new hatchlings.

3. plant rookie

plant rookie Member

Will the alcohol keep them from coming back? My main concern is that these plants I bring into the house in the winter time.

4. lorax

If you treat 3-4 weeks in a row, you'll get them all.

5. plant rookie

plant rookie Member

Another question is do I use a full concetrate of alcohol? Do I spray daily? And will the alcohol damage the plant? I hope I'm not bothering you too much, I really appreciate your help.

6. lorax

No worries! I use full concentrated ethanol with menthol in it, which doesn't seem to hurt my plants but it sure does kill the bugs. You can also use isopropanol to the same effect. I'd spray every three days unless the infestation is very heavy (ie you see more scale bugs than plant). In heavy infestations, I'd spray daily.