"Crazy About Trees"

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

YAHOOO! 3 hours? cool, I will be there for sure, with at least two friends in tow, so far. Its a lot of fun to try to keep up with Mr. Justice, if you dont have big plans Sunday, try to attend!

Thanks for giving up your Sunday afternoon Douglas, it is appreciated.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. jimmyq

Today is the day!, - bump-

5. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Let us know what some of the June highlights were. We were unable to make it because of a gathering at a private garden of nearly 1000 roses. One of the highlights there was Liriodendron tulipifera 'Aureomarginatum', maybe 25 feet tall.

6. jimmyq

Laurie, one of our highlights was a variegated tulip tree ( a group of them actually) about 70 feet high! :) plus BIG weeping beeches, oaks, silver maple.... a few redwoods, incense cedar, coliseum maples, camperdown elms....

it was a great walk, Douglas was entertaining and informative, the group was happy and the time was well spent. Thanks again to Mr Justice.

Treefest in September is the bext big event, try to make it up if you can!

rumour has it that Mr Justice will be going for another tree walk... and, it appears that I have volunteered to give a short walk myself....

Attached Files:

7. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well let's have the dates and times - or are both yours and Mr. Justice's next tours within the context of treefest? I'm happy to have lots of opportunities as many things in life conspire to make me miss events like this (in this case, frustratingly, I simply didn't know about it in advance, missed this thread earlier). I've been trying to get to a Riverview Tour for years, and this sounds like it would have been one of the best to get to. Darn.

8. jimmyq

yup, during the day at treefest there are a number of walks. I have been talked in to a short walk ( my first one so I figured it was best to start slow) and Mr Justice usually gets about an hour, a bit more if he can help it. For current info you can go to the Riverview Hort society website at http://www.rhcs.org/

9. KarinL

Thanks - it's on the calendar. Now, to keep the day open from other incursions...

10. KarinL

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Considering the title, shouldn't the original post have been directed at "locos", rather than "locals"?

If we're "crazy" that must mean trees attract nuts in addition to producing them.

Riverview has some great trees. Haven't been there in years, but some of the interesting ones that made enough of an impression to come readily to mind now are:

Catalpa bignoniodes 'Aurea', 51 ft. across (1994)
    Liriodendron tulipifera 'Aureo-marginatum', 80 ft. high (1992)
    Quercus rubra 'Aurea', 66 ft. high (1994)
    Thuja standishii, 58 ft. high (1994)
    Tilia tomentosa, 120 ft. high (1992)
    Ulmus 'Purpurea', 106 ft. high (1992)

12. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

A nice chuckle, and so not PC - but maybe not everyone is familiar with the history of
    Riverview.

13. jimmyq

well, looks like rain is forecast. will make the best of it. I have heard that Mr Justice is otherwise engaged tomorrow, too bad, he does a great tour. come on out folks, dont be shy and let us know who you are! Riverview needs the support and we can all try to help preserve this great resource! :)

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I wasn't joking about the hospital, just the title of the thread.

15. KarinL

Well it was good. It stopped raining as soon as I got there and started again just as I left; talk about luck. There are indeed some nice trees. As our tour guide pointed out, however, it's kind of a shame that they are crowding each other out especially in the case of the ones planted in groups of three or five. Also, there is not a lot of replacement stock growing as these trees reach maturity and beyond. But lovely to see such mature exemplars of so many interesting kinds of trees. I really appreciate all the time that people, both expert and non-expert, donate (I presume) to make this event happen.

16. jimmyq

I agree. it was good. My walk went well (from my point of view anyways) and I talked to three or four other tree folk there that were hapy with the way things went. Lets see some more folks out in 2007 at treefest (or other scheduled walks), its s great day! I will volunteer to lead a walk again, no doubt. I hope that the other tree people that gave their time today will also do so again next year. whats a little rain?

I got the chance to follow Jimmy Ofriel around on his walk and give his group some tidbits, as well as give my own tour (north lawn) and I got to chat with a good friend Leslie before her walk. Riverview is worth the effort folks, help us preserve the grounds! please! http://www.rhcs.org/