Crape Myrtle Trees...

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by breakaway90210, Aug 20, 2006.

1. breakaway90210

breakaway90210 Member

I just bought 5 crape myrtle trees for my home. I want to plant them on the side of my house to help shade my bedrooms windows during the hot heat of the summer months. I heard they are fast growing, and can reach up to 20' tall and 15' wide. However, the crape myrtles that I have seen are usually about 15' high and maybe 9' wide. I bought tuskegee types and was wondering if anyone thought it would be okay to plant close to my house, maybe 10' away? or should i go further out?

2. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

'Tuskegee' has the potential to be 20' x 20'. You don't want it growing into the eave of your house one day. I would use caution knowing how big it can get. Ten feet isn't very far away to be planting a tree next to your house. Crape myrtles also need good air circulation to prevent powdery mildew from growing on the leaves.

3. breakaway90210

breakaway90210 Member

thank you for your help! its very appreciated. God bless!

4. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

'Tuskegee' is rated "Excellent" for resistance to powdery mildew and is one of the most recommended cultivars. Good Luck!

5. pomme8916

pomme8916 Member

I Think You Should Put The Tree Further Away Because Of Its Maximum Height Potential Of 20 * 20.