Courtenay Climate?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Eric La Fountaine, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was sent in via email:

I need to know the last frost date for Courtenay BC. I have just moved from Alberta.

Jane

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

You would think this info would be standard on city municipal websites, but I can't find it. Courtenay is apparently zone 7b - 8b, so it will be milder than you were used to in Alberta. Any gardeners in Courtenay with advice for Jane?

3. Brent A. Hine

Brent A. Hine Active Member 10 Years

Hi Jane. I grew up in Parksville, very similar climate, just down the road from Courtenay.
    My best guess is sometime around the first week of April ~ quite soon!

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

The Courtenay climate is generally zone 8: some 8b's to be had, and in some choice pockets, pushing a zone 9. That being said, the Comox valley has enough geographic variation to make site matter a great deal: I'm 2 weeks behind my neighbour, on the other side of the ridge: in the winter, I've lost plants, while my friend mere kilometers away continues to grow the same species without a problem. My average date of last killing frost? Generally the second week of april.

5. steve d

steve d Member

It depends on where in the comox valley you are. I live a mile up hill from Royston towards Cumberland, and I have seen frost up too mid April. This year is extremely warm, but who can predict what Mother will do. Mid to late April would be a safe bet.