Costa Rica tree (favourite food for birds)

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Grooonx7, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

I once knew this tree's name, but I have misplaced it. The Masked Tityra shown in the photo will eagerly devour the brown fruits; for company, he'll have numerous migratory birds visiting from Canada (including our Swainson's Thrushes and Yellow Warblers), as well as Variegated Squirrels.

Because the tree is so cherished by so many creatures who eat its produce, the species is well-known among Costa Rican naturalists. I'm hoping someone here will recognize it. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

Looks like Gumbo-limbo, Bursera simaruba. You can see the characteristic peeling bark in one of your shots.

3. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Ah, that was it. Thank you very much, Tony. I recognize the name, now that you tell me.

Yes, the reddish peeling bark is very characteristic. My problem in Costa Rica is not knowing (yet) whether a characteristic is unique to one species or is shared by many.

But, indeed, Gumbo-limbo was the name. I have numerous photos of birds eating its fruits, and it is much better for me to know they are eating Bursera simaruba fruits than simply that they are having lunch in a tree.