Corylus cornuta in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Citypicker, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Citypicker

Citypicker Member

Does anybody know of any Corylus Cornuta (beaked hazelnut) in the Vancouver area? I know they grow a lot of them out at a First Nations reservation out in the valley, but I was hoping to find one wild in the city somewhere.

Thanks!

Citypicker.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You know it's native here, right?

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Depends on where 'here' is - from the context, it looks like Citypicker fears it might be extinct as a native within the city boundary of Vancouver (or perhaps never occured naturally within that area).

If nowhere else, I'd assume the UBC Garden will be growing it.

4. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Should be able to find some on the margins of Pacific Spirit Park, though I imagine these are covered under the same "no-pick" regulations as other plants within parks. The squirrels follow no such laws, and have likely cleaned them by now, though.

6. Citypicker

Citypicker Member

What I was hoping to find is a Hazelnut tree that I read was a native tree in the Vancouver BC area. Thanks for the tip on the ones near Pacific Spirit park. I ride my bike there a fair bit and will keep my eyes open for them.

I am looking for a tree that may be ouside of a park where I can harvest a few of them to try. I harvested, soaked and roasted some acorns last month that I found off Broadway that turned out pretty well. A little bland, but at least not bitter! I also have to learn how to roast them better.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

For what it's worth, they were selling hazelnuts at Granville Island on Saturday.

8. Chris Morris

Chris Morris Active Member 10 Years

I was curious if there were any Beaked Hazelnut trees around here as most seem to be the non native variety. I collected some nuts last fall before I knew there was more than one variety of Hazelnuts growing in the Lower Mainland, turns out the four trees I collected the nuts from were all introduced trees, not the native Beaked Hazelnut I wanted.
    Since now is the easiest time to tell the difference between the native and non native trees I made a mental note every time I saw a Hazelnut tree over the last ten or so days to see how many were true Beaked Hazelnuts.
    All the trees were in Burnaby except one in New Westminster and many residential properties had multiple trees so I did'nt count each tree unless both beaked and non beaked varieties were present.

Here's what I found on residential properties
    18 non beaked [1 looked like a hybrid of the two]
    3 Beaked Hazelnuts
    1 had both [4 large trees in a cluster 3 non beaked 1 beaked]

In natural areas, roadsides and parks
    8 non beaked
    4 Beaked Hazelnuts
    There's a one acre park close to my house that has 5 large trees 3 being non beaked and 2 being Beaked Hazelnuts
    Another ravine had three large trees in a row with a Beaked Hazelnut in the middle.

9. MiskwasYarrow

MiskwasYarrow New Member

I'm looking at C.cornuta genetic range for my Ph.D. research at SFU, would you mind sharing where the park is the beaked hazelnut?

Thanks! :)

10. Chris Morris

The one acre park is called Broadway Woolwich park. let me know if you want me to point out where they are exactly. It's tough to tell them apart from the European variety especially right now since there's no leaves on the trees.

The Park is bounded by Broadway, Woolwich, Dawson and Kensington in Burnaby.

11. Chris Morris

Here's the picture

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  12. MiskwasYarrow

MiskwasYarrow New Member

Does anyone know how to distinguish between C.cornuta cornuta and C.cornuta californica? Also I've seen in the literature, a few times now, some refer to these two types as different varieties and other refer to them as different species. Are there any definitive taxonomic studies on this?

13. Chris Morris

The californica variety is supposed to have larger nuts and shorter beaks.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014