cornus satomi dogwood

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by smartzplant, Jun 22, 2009.

1. smartzplant

smartzplant Member

I just bought a pink dogwood tree this year and received 3 (three) flowers, they were white....could you please tell me if this dogwood starts out white at first? Will I receive pink flowers in the future???

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Someone elsewhere asked where they could get the "true" 'Satomi' because ones at an outlet were pink only on the edge. Since then I have noticed established plants in more than one location here blooming white with a pink edge. These have been all pink or nearly so in the past. So, I think it is whatever climate factor has caused this behavior this year and it will not happen every year.

Plants I take to be 'Hanros' are becoming common here and are pink this year, as others. It is so intense that it might be too pink for some.

'Beni fuji', perhaps the first pink Kousa ever selected is said to be one of the most pink.

Others continue to be selected.

3. smartzplant

smartzplant Member

So it looks like I do have a pink dogwood, I hope so because I went to the nursery that sold me the tree today and complained about the dogwood tree and he advised me that it will be pink next year with no explanation. He also told me to feed it every three months during the growing season which is from Feb to Oct.
    Thank you for your explanation