Corn w/tassels, no silks!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by High Desert Deb, Aug 23, 2009.

1. High Desert Deb

High Desert Deb Member

Hi everyone!
    I live in a very harsh environment and this year our spring, although much more moderate than usual, brought rain every day in June (very uncommon). It is not advisable here to plant seeds before July 1st, just to give you an idea of how late we can get severe (20 degrees F) at night. Anyway, my corn finally came up and grew rather well until we started to get night time temps in the 30's for several days (that was around August 15th). We attempted to keep the garden from freezing by keeping the overhead water going from 4:00am to 7:00am, which is usually when the coldest temps hit. My corn, only about 2-1/2 feet high right now, has started to tassel, however; there are no silks on any of the plants...not even an inkling! Some of the tassels are even turning brown and starting to drop their pollen! Is this due to the weather, a lack of nutrients in the soil (I have fertilized with a vegetable garden liquid fertilizer several times), or something else?? Your thoughts would definitely be welcome! Thanx in advance!

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

Give it a little more time. I was under the same situation a week or so ago. The corn had flowers but I couldn't see any silks. A week later there were lots of silks, so I am hoping that they are getting fertilized. I was thinking that I wasn't going to get any corn. Now I have hope again.

3. High Desert Deb

High Desert Deb Member

Good to know! The only other place I have grown corn was in the San Joaquin Valley in California and that was TOTALLY different conditions...Thanx a bunch!