Corn Plant Help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ASHER, Jul 8, 2019.

1. ASHER

ASHER New Member

i have a corn plant in a 14” pot. The elbows are turning dark brown yet it’s not overwatered. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. ASHER

ASHER New Member

Ok there's the pic of the "elbow " turning brown!

3. ASHER

ASHER New Member

Ok I guess no one else has encountered this. I’ll look further on the net.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have not encountered this. It looks from the photo like the bottom of the stalks has the same problem - is that the case? I don't know, but would suspect some type of mold, would take cuttings from at least two inches above the brown area and plant them into a new pot, new soil, hoping to leave behind whatever the brown stuff is. Cut as high as you can, leaving about three inches to insert into the soil.

Why are you sure it has not been overwatered?

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Unfortunately this seems to be a rather common problem. I don't know the cause of it but there are multiple possibilities. At this point I would remove the top growth by cutting into healthy cane above the dying portion and propagate it. As for the main stem I would remove the dying material then determine the condition of the roots by easing the root ball out of the container and having a look.

UF > IFAS > MREC > Apopka - Dracaena Production Guide

6. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

I agree, looks like time to save what you can of that branch. I'm sorry to be the doubting Thomas, Asher, but with those symptoms, for that plant, you should know every one of us who've grown Dracaena are thinking overwatering, at least inside at the bottom of the pot. Can you tell us about how you water, what type of soil you have, if there are holes in the bottom of the pot, how long water is allowed to stand in the tray after watering, etc.?

7. ASHER

ASHER New Member

Thank you all. This is at a clients offuce. There is good drainage. I only have to water these about every 3 weeks as the light isn’t great. Been watering the them almost 7 years. Guess it’s possible I did overwater once but didn’t think so.

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Is there just a single client who knew not to water it, or might there have been some do-gooders who were supplementing your good care with some of their own?

9. ASHER

ASHER New Member

No I could tell with my soil probe it hadn't been watered since last I Watered it.