Corn plant? Drooping leaves, many questions...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Ryan Dee, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Ryan Dee

Ryan Dee New Member

Hi there

I was given this plant and not sure what it is. (A corn plant?) The leaves are very droopy and the stem doesn't look very strong. I thought maybe it needed a bigger pot, but this is perhaps too big, is that a problem? If so should I put it back on the old pot which was a few inches smaller?

It is in a room with a lot of afternoon light, but is not in the line of direct sunlight. I took it out of a room with the AC, thinking it was unhappy with that. I watered it a few times a week. Too much? It is in Miracle Gro Nature's Care organic potting soil mix. Is there a better soil for it or does it need additional nutrients?

Any tips appreciated! It looks pretty miserable and I would love to save it despite my poor plant knowledge.

Thank you!

IMG-20190810-173101-copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2019
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like a cultivar of Dracaena fragrans (Deremensis Group) (syn. Dracaena deremensis). The container does appear to be too big; it should be roughly the size of the root ball but with a inch or so extra on the sides. You are likely over-watering if the foliage is wilting even though the soil is moist. It's probably suffering some degree of root rot. I suggest you check the condition of the roots if you decide to move the plant back to a smaller container.

UF > IFAS > MREC > Apopka - Dracaena Production Guide

3. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

3 times a week is waaay too much water with that soil in low light. Check with your finger that the top inch is dry before rewatering. That may take a week or possibly even two. Make sure to empty the tray, never let it sit in water.
    Also it needs more light. This plant would do just fine up close to the center of the glass in a E, W, or North orientation; and after acclimating can even take full south window sun.
    The old growth won't really recover, but concentrate on getting quality new shoots soon hopefully. :)

4. Ryan Dee

Ryan Dee New Member

Thank you all for the tips!
    I've put it in a smaller container, I'm attaching a picture of the roots, please let me know your thoughts on their condition if you have a chance.

I will also put the plant in front of the window, which is west-facing, I was worried about the direct light but it's usually not crazy at that hour, and the extreme heat is (I think) over.

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Imgur