Cordyline Australis question

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Canadianplant, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

I purchased a Cordyline Australis (bought it as "dreceana spike") this summer, and brought it indoors for the winter. IT seems to be loosing its lower leaves, and getting brown tips. Im just wondering whats the best way to keep it alive till the spring???

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

The leaf loss does happen here too (in garden) but not sure how to keep the inside as I have the right climate. Maybe the air is too dry from heating. Can you put it where there is not too much heating and it is still sheltered. Also don't overwater or overfeed. In real environment they get little of either.
    Found this Q&a
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Annuals-706/2008/10/spike-plants-1.htm

Liz

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Picture and history and exact living environment all will shock this plant having brought indoors for the season... If your garage offers a bright frost free environment, it may hold out until spring and replanting only until then....

4. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

Thanks for the help so far. Im nore curious to the amount of light it needs. IT used to get nice bright full sun out back. And becasue the sun is so low right now, its hard to find a good window. I assumed it would get shoked bronging it inside. On the bright side, it has about an inch of trunk already.

Now it is in a fairly small pot. Is it safe to repot it right now since its growth is slowed??? I think it might be in too small of a pot right now as well. The leaves are about 2 and a bit feet long right now, and its in a 6 inch wide x 5 inch tall pot. IT looks like they have big tap roots like actual Dreceana.