'Corallinum' types with burned or blackened leaves

Discussion in 'Maples' started by winterhaven, May 1, 2010.

1. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Well, I don't know what's going on but my Oki kasame looks like it's by death's door. Shin deshojo looks like it's in the early throws of something similar.

They are in similar growing conditions but are located in completely different beds. I disinfect clippers between trees so I'm not sure what the problem is. Could this be simple burn from the cold winds we've had? But since Oki kasame was located in the same place last year you would think it would be happy in the same location. Both Oki kasame and Shin deshojo are located on the waterfront side of the property. And it has been really wet this spring. Branches look fine, but the leaves are disappearing.

Oki kasame is located about five feet closer to the water than Geisha Gone Wild, which looks really happy. Five feet closer to the water than Oki kasame is Komachi hime which looks better than it did in early spring. It didn't harden off over the winter like it should have (it had leaves with snow sitting on the tree) so I assumed that was its early spring problem. And after its initial struggle it is doing really well, even has a second flush of leaves. Now five feet closer to the water than that is a Beni hime which looks to have the same problem as Oki kasame. Its outermost leaves look rotten with black edges.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Re: 'Corallinum' types

Winter, as the affected ones are closest to the waterfront, any chance they are being burned by salt laden winds?

I did not see any wilting or softening of the shoot tips in your photo that would indicate root problems, but then again it is only one picture. Also what are the white patches on the twigs? if it is dead tissue that is at least as worrying as the the burnt leaves, but it almost looks as if it is something on the surface.

I will move this discussion to its own thread to see if it attracts more attention from those more knowledgeable about these things than myself.

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Uuuugh!, it does not look good. I have seen many cases of tiny leaves blackening as they open in the Spring due to pseudomonas but never like that, so I do not really know what it is.
    The easy things to consider first are frost damage and water-logging. Then you may have salt laden winds as suggested by Maf. I would discard pathogens (other than pseudomonas) since the problem affects several of your trees at the same time.

Gomero

4. rockhound

rockhound Member

I guess I'm about a year late for this one but I too have the burnt leaf problem. I bought a beautiful pink-leafed corallinum tree and put it in the ground only to see it slowly die from the top down...new small leaves stopping their growth and turning dark and then becoming completely dead and crisp. The young branches on which the leaves were growing can be broken off like dead twigs...snap!...but there is still green in the centre...for now. When I planted the tree I sprinkled the ground and hole with bone meal and a well-known manufacturer's "Tree, Shrub and Hedge Food". Maybe the tree didn't like the food or maybe the soil, which is also new...a mixture for vegetable gardens. Other plants and trees are thriving. That's about all I can say except that I'm sad because the shape of the tree was really good. It's about 5ft high. Any ideas anyone? Pseudomonas? And I'm not close to water.