Coral Bark Leaf Verigation and Deformation

Discussion in 'Maples' started by shiroi oni, Aug 27, 2005.

1. shiroi oni

shiroi oni Active Member

Having read all the posts and looked at all the pictures concerning the "Sango Kaku" I have a question. Does anyone have leaves that look similar to these that I have posted. During this plants first year, the leaves were smaller and a uniform light green yellow throughout the summer. I transplanted the maple this spring, removing as much osmocote as possible and ending up with a nice mulch/sand mix, that was followed by a fish emulsion fertilizer.

The new growth began with red edging, and grew into abnormally large leaves, and some misshapen leaves. It has begun to show a distinctive moltted appearance which I've never seen in any of the previous posts.

It is a container maple, but hasn't been moved since the spring, getting usually 3 to 4 hours of morning sun, and general bright ambience the rest of the day. During the winter the branches and twigs facing the sun were a dull rosy red, while the bark not facing the sun retained a light yellow green bark color. I've seen no signs of pests, and I water this plant well and regularly.

Is this a common for coloration for the Sango Kaku leaves or is this a sign of stress? Is it possible I have a grafted seedling, or a sign of cross pollination, or am I just freaking out over normal year to year changes? I know that it generally takes a few years to properly understand maples, but I want to make sure I have a many more years with this plant.

thank you for help

Attached Files:

2. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,
    I have two 'Sangu Kaku''s and they exhibit the same sort of growth. Juvenile growth in maples can vary greatly. Growth in late summer is often very irregular. Growth on mature wood next year will exibit the typical leaf. The same sort of effects can come from overfertilization also.

Maples will freak you out til you get used to them, LOL. Enjoy there variety and changes!

Mike

3. Su W.

Su W. New Member

Thank you, shiroi ono and Crazy. This was helpful to me. Our 10 year old Sango Kaku was transplanted in January and the leaves in the summer look like the pictures you've shown. I'll look forward to seeing what transforms in the seasons and the years to come, if I will be so lucky to experience it.