Container Growing Rajapuri Bananas-

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by BitterSweet, Jul 9, 2009.

1. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

I live in zone 8 and am planning to container grow a Rajapuri indoors. I have a large, clean, new garbage can that I drilled holes in (I took into account the fact that drilling holes into the underside of the bottom wouldn't allow the water to drain, and because of this put holes in the sides near the base.)and I intend to mix a mixture of peatmoss, sand and the great rich garden soil we have hanging out in the corner of the yard. The banana will be grown next to a large window which I can open to allow the nanner to get direct light. What should I expect? Will this work or am I totally out to lunch? Thanks ahead of time for any replies =)

2. Czvp

Czvp Active Member

im not an expert or anything but i do think that sounds pretty crazy. i live in pensacola florida and have an aunt that has a backyard full of them and theyre huge. really not sure how long it would take for it to reach your roof but im sure its going to happen sooner or later. i would grow it in a pot and switch the pot every few years. what if you move??? lol can you post some pictures when youre finished planting it, i wouldnt mind seeing how it looks.

3. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

I'm sure I can manage that. =) These ones only get 6-8 feet tall, and we're building an outdoor greenhouse so it should be fine once it gets moved. As for moving out, it wont be for a few years and when I do i'll only take pups with me if I take any, the adult plant(s) can stay here with my family.