Container Gardening near the Equator

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ghiggs, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ghiggs

ghiggs Member

I'm living in an apartment near the equator and want to have plants on the window ledge to screen the hideous veiw. (cooking herbs etc wouldn't be bad either) I've tried to buy potted whatevers from the local hardware store, but they wilted and died in a very short time. On the other hand vine-like plants that look like chickweed but tough seem to grow up from the bare concrete of the window ledge.

All my plant experience has come from outdoor gardens in BC and I really don't know how to deal with this new climate. The conditions are:

17 degrees celcius on the coldest night 24 average temperature with about 35 being maximum
    The sun is strong, it directly hits the windows 5-6 hours a day
    12 hours daylight year round, occasional cloudy days
    If it rains it POURS and only lasts 30 minutes
    Up on the 10th floor where my apartment is there's sometimes quite a wind
    I travel for work, the plants need to be able to survive a day or two on their own

If anyone could tell me what I need to be aware of to get plants to survive here I would be very gratefull.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The larger the pots you can use, the better - less liable to blow over, and will hold more water against the days when you're away and can't water them.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Your worst problem is going to be wind - it just depletes water like mad, and unless you can build a partial enclosure (something with good ventilation and light shade, but protection from 10th fl. wind) you will have trouble. Your best bet I'd think is to ask around locally and see what people use, maybe the nurseries can advise you, because what's available locally is usually the way to go, but keep your elevation in mind.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

In Venezuela there are many beautiful aroids that should be easy to locate. Many of these will survive well as container plants in the conditions you describe. Most won't enjoy direct sunlight other than early morning or late afternoon sun but if you can avoid those conditions you have a wonderful selection available. Many will grow well in hanging baskets as well. You might want to take a look at Anthurium crystallinum, Anthurium clarinervium, Anthurium luxurians, Anthurium veitchii, Anthurium warocqueanum, Philodendron hederaceum, Philodendron mamei, Philodendron verrucosum, and Philodendron gloriosum. All should be reasonably easy to find locally since they are endemic to Venezuela or Colombia. There are many exotic species also found in French Guiana. You can find information on all of these on the web and most are written up on my own website. If you elect to grow any of these aroids consider using a fast draining soil mixture which includes a good soil, peat, Perlite (if available) and orchid potting media. Orchids should also be readily available and will grow well as window plants, again provided you avoid the direct sunlight. If you can water these 3 or 4 days a week you shouldn't have much of a problem although during the heat of the year you may need to water more often.