Identification: Conifer - Picea?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by hortiphoto, Apr 1, 2013.

1. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

Does anyone recognise this conifer?

I'm guessing it's a Picea, though it could be Abies (or something else). It is about 8m tall but clearly has a lot more growing to do and as it has no cones it's probably yet to reach anywhere near maturity. The foliage is a very very pale icy blue. It's not your typical Picea pungens blue and the leaves are much broader. The broad-based leaves and the way they spiral around the stems is almost like a small blue-grey version of Cunninghamia, though clearly it isn't.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca'.

3. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, Ron. Cunninghamia was certainly what it reminded me of, though I was aware of 'Glauca. However, it is smaller in all parts than the regular Cunninghamia, one of which was nearby for comparison. Also the leaf tips weren't especially hard and sharp, whereas the basic species can be rather prickly and unpleasant to handle. Should 'Glauca' be like that?

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Cunninghamia lanceolata. Maybe a glaucous foliage clone other than 'Glauca'?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Various histories possible, including it being merely a cultivariant of 'Glauca'. Some Cunninghamia here are similar, including I think blue ones.