General: confused chives!

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by SpringTurtle, Jan 28, 2010.

1. SpringTurtle

SpringTurtle Member

I have a pot out back that i grew my chives in last year and to my suprised the chives are comingup right now! I have not grown them in a pot like this over a whole season before so I am not sure when they are suposed to sprout up...if we get another freeze wold it kill the chives becase they ar sprouting this early? Also I have onions sprouting now..will they make it through a freeze also?

What can I do to protect them?

Thanks for the help.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The chive plant is a hardy perennial. Many other kinds of plants are sprouting or budding now also.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Where on the NW west coast would be more helpful. NW Coast still covers a lot of territory and a couple of zones.

4. SpringTurtle

SpringTurtle Member

Thanks for the help. Lot of new things this year, many firsts. I am glad the chives are so hardy. Hope the onions are also:) It has been a really mild January but i know we still have a way to go to be in the clear yet.

5. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

the chives are in a pot, you say? i'm sure they'll be fine (hollyberry lady and ron know everything), but i did have a pot of strawberries freeze solid one winter. of course, the strawberries all died.

i don't know if chives are more hardy than strawberries (enlightenment, please!), but i wouldn't leave container plants unprotected all winter. wrapping the pot in burlap and tucking it in close to the house for shelter is a fantastic idea.

your chives are probably fine for now, though. huzzah!

6. SpringTurtle

SpringTurtle Member

Thank you..the chives seem to be doing very well even through a couple heavy frosts we had lately.