Concerns with corn or happy plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Satya, May 18, 2022.

1. Satya

Satya New Member

CA6E0080-D96F-4B39-A266-A406C6F84001.jpeg Hi -

My corn plant is not doing so well and keeps getting dark brown or black leaves close to the stem. I was asked to gently pull them down and that it wasn’t big of a concern. I pulled down the dry dark leaves as I was asked to, and the leaves that were green right next to the ones I pulled down, turned black in two days.

I can’t understand what I am doing wrong. I water it when the 2 inches of the soil is dry. Mostly once in 3 weeks. I give it distilled water as I read corn plants don’t like tap water. I have the humidifier on all day as we turn on the heaters as it’s cold. It’s next to two windows, so gets good light.

Could you please help understand what I should try next, or what I may be doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums.

Loss of the oldest leaves, the ones nearest the bottom, can be expected. However it's a different matter if the leaf loss does not seem to be slowing. To be honest, your plant appears to be very healthy. Is there any softness in the portion of stem that has been exposed after removing the leaves? Are the plants continuing to produce new growth at the tips?