Compost a new way

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Acerholic, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

I found this study very interesting, but one thing I don't understand is how they established that the bokashi was "done"? How is their completed bokashi any different than just merely unfinished compost? For instance the parameters they give for finished bokashi include higher carbon, higher nitrogen, higher carbon:nitrogen ratio, higher weight, higher volume, etc. All of these parameters match simple unfinished compost, don't they? There are solid reasons we don't use unfinished compost, and I'm struggling to see evidence here that is not simply what they created.

3. Acerholic

Agreed Tom, but I believe it is all down to the wrapping process, as is done for haylage. To put it simply, it cooks better. That has been my take on it.
    Whether it is any use for the garden compared to the farm, which is on a very large scale, who knows at this time.
    I am looking forward to the follow up article next year to see the results to see if there are any benefits to be gained with this process.
    I found it interesting as well !!!

4. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

I sure agree they are making the claim it cooks "better", but I just don't see any evidence as to why they can say that. From the parameters they give it looks like just plain partially-cooked compost, and we all know that is not better than aged or well-cooked compost.

5. Acerholic

I see your point absolutely Tom. Perhaps it is someone reinventing the wheel !!!!
    I Will post an update on here when more results are forthcoming.