Composition of 'Sandy Loam'

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by bcgift52, Jul 29, 2007.

1. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I have a friend in Oregon who grows the biggest and healthiest lily bulbs I've ever seen. Her secret is apparently 'expensive sandy loam'. I think the 'expensive' is referring to the price of real estate and I think I've got that part right but any ideas of how to achieve the 'sandy loam' part ?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Interesting and yet can it be explained a bit better. I guess would the soil left in a fish pond that has had potted plants in it tip over and spill some of its clay soil and dropped leaveds and pine needles, add fish wastes and even some small critters carcuss such as snails, bugs, little fish, water bugs, etc. and plant material, dust settlement mean this is sandy loam or more silty loam?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ahh er, I think to answer that it would depend on how much sand or silt was in the mix, beside all the other things you mentioned. Sandy loam is more than 50 percent sand and less than 20 percent clay according to the chart. Silty loam is more than 50 percent silt and less than 30 percent clay.

5. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

So Silty loam is good stuff then? ;-)