compatable plants in a japanese tomato ring

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Potszer, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Potszer

Potszer Member

I would appreciate if anyone can give me advise on advisablity of planting squash,bell peppers,eggplant,cucumbers, along with tomato's in a tomato ring, or suggestions on other plants that may be more beneficial to the tomato's ( Big Boy) thank you, I live in the Fl. panhandle, just north of Panama City.

2. chemicalx

chemicalx Active Member

Basil is considered one of the best companion plants for tomatoes (and, of course, in food!). Marigolds are often recommended as companion plants in vegetable gardens, since they have properties that repel some harmful insects/nematodes. I've also heard borage (herb) recommended for tomatoes/strawberries, some others.

For the other veggies you mentioned - they all sound ok to plant with tomatoes to me, but I'm still new to veggie gardening, so maybe someone else will reply with more definite info.

Good luck!

3. doccat5

doccat5 Member

Squash have a tendency to sprawl, so I would suggest you plant those toward the outside of the ring and train the plants away from the center. You could also trellis the cukes unless you are using a bush variety as they too have a tendency to sprawl, just not quite as much as the squash. Dill if contained is another good addtion to the veggies you suggested. Fresh dill for your salads and pickles, yummy.