companion planting - peas & potatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by fleur52, May 22, 2009.

1. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

Help!
    Sometime in the past I printed a list of "companion" vegetables. According to this list, I shouldn't plant peas and Irish Potatoes together. Are Irish Potatoes the common white variety or a specific type, like Yukon Gold or Russet? Also, how close together is considered "companion" planting? Or perhaps I should ask how far apart should these two be planted to be safe from one another?

2. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Companion planting is specified by comfortable distance of plants by maximum growth of the plants. A little more space though for getting through growth zone, unless you get to them by perimeter only.

As for Potato and peas, they should be fine. Potato goes deep, peas do not.

3. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

Thanks Acoma -

I didn't think about the root systems of the two plants but your reply is logical ... I was thinking more in terms of what bugs they would be attracting. Perhaps what is good for one plant is harmful to the other?

4. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

With your view of attracting predatory insects, focus on different flowering plants spread in the area. Herbs are good too. Garlic, yarrow, basil, etc. Lots of material on it. Mixing some within the garden area and perimeter zones does well. Another idea, if you have squash bug issues, get a few toads, they go nuts at night. Look into proper home for them.

5. JanR

JanR Active Member

My book lists peas as being a good companion for early potatoes, but a bad companion for late potatoes. I don't know why the difference, but maybe because the peas would be finished well before late potatoes would be done.