Companion for A. p. 'Mikawa yatsubusa' and A. p. 'Shishigashira'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Samara, May 8, 2014.

1. Samara

Samara Active Member Maple Society

A year ago I planted a beautiful A. p. 'Mikawa yatsubusa' and asked for suggestions for companions. I ended up planting an A. p. 'Shishigashira' about 10 feet away and now I'm trying to decide what to plant in between them. (I'm gradually turning a perennial garden into a maple garden with a few perennials.) I'd like something that contrasts both in leaf type and color, preferably a dwarf that spreads in width. I have a few small grafts that might be possibilities: Ruslyn in the Pink, Beni hoshi, and Karasugawa.

The exposure is full sun.

Thanks,
    Samara

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

For a dwarf that contrasts in color you would be hard pressed to beat 'Shaina'.

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Two lovely green trees in the spring/summer with a Oregon Sunset in the middle, good colour break and interesting leaf structure as well.
    Good combination.

4. Samara

Samara Active Member Maple Society

Thanks very much, maf & Roebuk. I like both suggestions. Haven't yet seen an Oregon Sunset in the flesh, but it looks like a beautiful cultivar, but there doesn't seem to be any consensus about its eventual height. Anyone have experience with it?

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A dissectum also might provide a nice contrast, plenty of red/purple ones available. For a smaller growing one I would suggest 'Red Filigree Lace' but not sure if it can handle full sun in your climate. (probably not!)