Coleus & geranium winter hardy Vancouver ?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    The retail coleus in last few years at the coast are pretty colors and pretty sturdy in dry shade

Deer have not tasted them (yet)

I am converted for sure to coleus

I wonder if any Salish Sea gardeners overwinter in patio pots (like traditional annual geraniums) ... or do you take cuttings and root in a glass of water on window sill

I do not have a lot is space for this - basically a couple of boot trays for a few pots in a 65F dry place w low natural light.

Do aphids occur on over winter coleus?

In the end it saves a few dollars and it’s fun to experiment (I’m not doing retail )

I tested geraniums 2018/19 in their normal garden patio planters by placing them in similar boot tray 65F w natural light and no water ... and I placed what was left of the twigs out in spring on the sundeck - they did well - certainly not the initial pleasing forced showy display one sees for Mother’s Day / Victoria Day retail ... however they grew sturdy leaves and buds and performed well in the hot dry days of summer in containers

EDIT : photo shows a coleus container mix against a blushing bride hydrangea background to echo the stain colour on nearby structure - blooms / leaves lasted very well through the September 2019 rain at coast

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Beautiful! I think I'll find room for coleus again next year - thanks for the inspiration.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    This is 3 x 4 inch containers of coleus on sale in July plopped in to a 10” diam container in dry shade - I am very impressed w results esp in recent Septober ;)