Cold hardy citrus in WA state update May 2021

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by SoCal2warm, May 13, 2021.

1. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

Ichang papeda, some of the leaves are slowly beginning to recover their green color.

[​IMG]

The Ichang papeda has been much later than the other hardy citrus varieties to begin recovering its color.

Ichangquat seedling, some of the leaves are beginning to recover, which is surprising. The leaves looked so pale before. It still has not grown any new leaves.

[​IMG]

(Ichangquat = Ichang papeda x kumquat)

Bloomsweet "grapefruit" beginning to put out some solid new growth now, looks good

[​IMG]

This variety probably isn't as cold hardy as the others. There is a south-facing brick wall two and a half feet behind it that probably helps provide some protection in the winter. (Bloomsweet is probably only a little more hardy than Satsuma mandarin, from what I've read. I haven't been able to get Satsuma to survive here)

Keraji, on grafted rootstock, looks very good. Some sort of insects seem to have taken some bites out of some leaves.

[​IMG]

Both the Bloomsweet and Keraji were just covered with a paper grocery bag during the coldest 4 days in February, with a one gallon container of water up against the plant under the bag. So it was sort of protected, but I don't think that constituted very much protection. Although I do think it helped make the leaves come through the winter much better. The leaves on both look surprisingly healthy. Although the temperatures did not drop too low this winter, maybe only down to 22 °F (-5 to -4 °C ). The other varieties shown here were not protected.

pictures taken May 13, 2021

Olympia, WA

2. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

Here's a picture of an Ichangquat seedling (seed came from a fruit from an Ichangquat. Ichangquat is a hybrid between kumquat and Ichang papeda) that I believe may likely have been pollinated by a citrumelo (citrumelo is a cross between Duncan grapefruit and bitter trifoliate orange).

Some close up pictures of the seedling outside in the ground. It survived through the winter, without any protection.

ichangquat, June7,2021-a.jpg ichangquat, June7,2021-b.jpg ichangquat, June7,2021-c.jpg
    I couldn't capture a close-up of both branch sides in a single picture, so had to take two pictures of each branch side of the seedling.

pictures taken June 7, 2021

While it was growing two years ago indoors as a seedling, I noticed two areas of bifurcated leaves that suggested third generation trifoliate parentage. Although I have not observed any such characteristic bifurcated leaves while it has been growing outside.