Appreciation: Coffee Tree Rejuvenation

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Junglekeeper, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Contributor 10 Years

I thought I'd share the result of my experiment in rejuvenating some coffee trees. These three trees were stumped sometime around mid-September of last year and became leafless as all their branches had been removed. At that time they were about 6 ft. tall with a stem diameter of around 1.5" at the base. The result: One produced three strong leaders and is looking lush; another produced one strong leader and is looking to become the first to reach the ceiling; the last one was and still is the weakest of the bunch, sending out only modest growth.

@pinenut , you may be interested in this; I believe you have some sizable trees as well.

20180809_173420.jpg

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  2. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Thank you JK! Good to know that they can rebound from severe pruning. My 40 year-old is big enough to cause arguments as to where it should reside. One of us for giving it lots of light, the other complaining about loss of view.

Sigh.

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Active Member

I did the same thing to my stringy 8ft tall tree after a vacation in Hawaii a number of years ago. We had stopped at a roadside coffee plantation fruit stand and I asked how to care for my then 10 year old tree - I figured if anyone knew they would. I was told they cut their trees back to about 3-4 ft after each harvest to rejuvenate (it also keeps the beans within reach). I've now cut mine back twice since then to keep it manageable

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Contributor 10 Years

The following video provides useful information on stumping and pruning of these trees: