British Columbia: Coffee Grinds and Composting

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by NRG MGR, Jan 7, 2009.

1. NRG MGR

NRG MGR Member

Hi everyone,

As part of our Conservation and Sustainability Policy, our commercial building is setting up a program to re-use coffee grinds from a local coffee shop. The grinds will be collected in rubber bins and allocated for use in composting.

This is completely FREE, first come first served basis and will be starting in March / 09.

If anyone is interested in picking up some grinds, please post up with your emails or PM me and I will start a list. I will contact all interested people once the program is in effect.

2. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

NRG, your Conservation and Sustainability policy is to be lauded. Note: that the grounds will need to be quickly distributed, or put into air tight poly bags, or the grounds will need to be dried. Otherwise, they will quickly mold in your bins. Concerning the link that Davidm posted, there seem to be some discrepancy in the actual pH of USED coffee grounds. Starbucks reports that most of the acidity is removed in the brewing process, leaving used grounds with an average PH of 6.9 and a carbon-nitrogen ration of 20-1.- Millet

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  4. supertramp

supertramp Member

5. supertramp

supertramp Member

I am not sure how to I/M you. My e/m add is
    c-o-n-d-i-n --a-t-- s-h-a-w-.-c-a- (with all the dashes and spaces removed.)

thanks.

6. Bambi

Bambi Active Member

Millet,

About how long until the wet coffee grounds start to mold? I also work for a shop distributing free coffee grounds, and was wondering what the shelf life on them is?

-Bambi

7. supertramp

supertramp Member

i've been drying them on a cookie sheet placed over the hot-air vent. makes the house smell like coffee. when they're dry, i pop them in the freezer in a yoghurt container just to be safe. the method's labour intensive for a "commercial" operation though...