Coddling moth

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Lil Mack, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Lil Mack

Lil Mack Member

How do you get rid of coddling moth on apple trees. I have only two apple trees and 2 crab apple trees. I have sprayed them once with dormant oil/sulphur and have heard that I must spray 3 times per season. But when and with what. Thanks.
    Lil Mack

2. biggam

biggam Active Member

This post addresses what might be sprayed (Planet Natural in Bozeman, Montana is one source online for the product mentioned, and they also have a codling moth trap). Something else is to dispose of fallen fruit, including the crab apples, which may have larvae inside.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is a chemical free method

I have just written on another set of notes where they were talking about apple maggots. I assume they were codling. Anyway my method was to let my half dozen chooks (chickens ) loose in autumn winter. I put them in to get rid of wandering jew which they did well. But the second result was beautiful maggot free fruit the following years. Ducks will also do this. Just one or 2 and they like to get their beaks around the base of the trees looking for food.

So if you have either give them a try. Encourage them to the area with some chicken feed. Let them forage for a few hours for a day over several weeks if you can't leave them in the area permanently for a while.

"Cocoons containing diapausing (dormant) caterpillars are usually constructed in crevices and under the bark of the trunk or branches of the tree but may be found in other places, such as box stacks, buildings, and wood piles, near where apples are grown or stored. Subsequently they may be transported out of the vicinity of fruit. In these circumstances the close woven, dense cocoon, 15-20 mm long, is a help in identification. " http://www.hortnet.co.nz/publications/hortfacts/hf401008.htm

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7412.html

Liz