CO2 levels in plants

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by s13paul, Sep 13, 2008.

1. s13paul

s13paul Member

I was just wanting to ask whether growing a plant in different substrates affect the C02 concentrations in the plant. For example: would the pads of an Opuntia stricta contain less CO2 grown on sand than another grown on loamy soil. Thanks in advance guys.

2. ariani

ariani Active Member 10 Years

The CO2 must be on air and not in the ground. It does not affect to much the plant becasue the respiration cells are on the steam, speciallly on Opuntia sp, Family Cactacea. The leaves are turned to thorns in this family plants to save the water loss and conserve it.
    I think this will help you.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  3. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I was going to pass on this question but it caught me. Are there any soil scientists out there? I think that CO2 content of soil depends more on soil moisture, temperature than the plants grown on it. There's more to the answer but I don't know the science behind it.

4. ariani

ariani Active Member 10 Years

The soil must b soft and not so much water for Opuntia Sp becasue they can get decomposed in the roots. It needs to much light and warm temperature. If you live in a place where there is light and dry eneviorement like or kind of desert it is ok for Opuntia. Otherwise you mus help it to grow in glass house or in your garden but not in frosen enviorement becsause it will die.