British Columbia: Climate zones in lower mainland

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by BloomBamboo, Jul 12, 2010.

1. BloomBamboo

BloomBamboo Member

I am looking for info on climate stats in the lower mainland. I am aware we are generally grouped as Zones 7-8. However, I know that West Vancouver by the water is more mild. Further in the lower mainland (ie. Coquitlam, New West, etc.) there is more snowfall and a higher wind chill.

I would like to know how each city compares (ie. snowfall, wind, temperature, etc.).

If anyone is wondering, I am debating if I can grow wind sensitive plants in North Vancouver in the ground. If not I was planning to find an alternate location . If anybody out there knows of any useful links for statistical data, I would definitely appreciate it!! Or better yet, if you live in North Vancouver (Capilano area) can you tell me how the climate there (ie. snow, wind) is? Do you advise growing in the ground for wind sensitive plants.

Thanks in advance for anybody's advice!!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

It will be difficult to find the sort of information you require through regional stats, as your question is really about micro-climates: within a given zone, broadly suitable on the basis of meta-stats (bearing in mind that in a lot of locations, average statistics often embed occasional killing freezes), individual site characteristics will determine whether or not you can grow the sort of plants you mention. And site characteristics can be modified: suitably placed structures, screens and windbreaks can make an initially unsuitable site more amenable to your needs. A few references that discuss micro-climates, and how to modify them:

Geiger, Rudolf "The Climate Near the Ground"...a lot of technical stuff, but a good chapter on site characteristics. Available as a free download.

Sullivan, Chip "Garden and Climate"...lots of historic examples of site modifications.

Koruik, Robert "Designing and Maintaining your Edible Landscape Naturally"...a good chapter (with graphics) discussing windbreak design.

Combined with the previously offered regional archives, you should be able to locate suitable sites.

4. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Yeah, Environment Canada's archives are a good guide. I live in White Rock and I know that the microclimate here down by the water is different even from some South Surrey neighbourhoods five minutes away.