Climate zones for Acer palmatum

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Maple_Lady, Jul 1, 2006.

1. pensylvaticum

pensylvaticum Active Member

Whis4ey,
    Appreciatative of the resource, however unfortunatly the USDA which refers is out of date, and the UK map is great for your location. USDA is dated 1990, and the US National Arbour Society in America has a map circa.2000 which hopefully I will provide the link to I just have to locate it again, and time as I am now working 6 days per week.
    There is also another climatic study done(global warming) which there is a link showing in North America the increase in Zones from half,1 to +2 zones dependant in the 20 years proceeding that 1990 map, and it is unfortunate the USDA has provided no new maps within the last nearly 20 years.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

hehehehe
    How do you make a map to take consideration of all of the wierd weather across the world?
    There are other zone maps published in Peter Gregory's updated pocket edition of Vertrees (an excellent little book)
    I attach a link of the European version with acknowledgement of copyright
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  3. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Whiskey,

I just checked my Pocket Guide to JM by Gregory and I couldn't find a climate zone map. What page is it on? I have also found 3 areas that need corrections. One is a photo that says it is Amber Ghost, but it is really Grandma Ghost. Thanks, Sam

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

The zone maps are on pages 213 and 214 Sam
    There may be some mistakes, but it is still a 'great wee book' :)

5. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks, don't know how I missed those 2 pages. Yes, Peter Gregory is doing a wonderful job. The size is great. Sam

6. sarahatbernheim

sarahatbernheim Active Member Maple Society

Kay,
    We've got one in a pot, I believe, and we're 6A. We acquired it back in 1999 and from what I understand its survived alright. Last year we had a harsh winter here, where temps got into the single digits. Keep in mind the tree was sitting in a greenhouse, so that factor alone may influence the information.

We have an A. tegmentosum (Manchustriped Maple), which is closely related to A. pennsylvanicum, and it seems to have done pretty well. I don't know how last year's winter will affect it. We had a dry summer this year ontop of the harsh winter.

I looked it up in Michael Dirr's Manuel of Woody Landscape Plants and he says that the species in general can be found in Zones 3-7. Dirr also mentions that he's seen it on mountainsides in Massachusetts and that it's native habitat is Nova Scotia to Minnesota. I don't know how helpful it is, but its something.