Climate Change and Gardening

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Daniel Mosquin, May 8, 2007.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

“Feeling Warmth, Subtropical Plants Move North” – New York Times

More...

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Its an interesting article.
    Seems like we are having the opposite happen here this year, I had more plant loss from the cold winter this year than usual.
    Is there a website to where people can check the temp differences for BC?

3. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

The warmth moving out of the tropics is probably why there were so many large fires in the southern US this spring. The warmth might be moving northward, but doesn't seem to bring the tropical moisture along with it, at least in Georgia and Florida. One fire reach 500,000 acres. Harry

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

We have had the warmest May on record. (150) years here in Victoria Australia. average of around 18C

Liz

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The 12 months from end April 2006 to end April 2007 were the warmest ever in Britain, a full 2°C above the average. Long-term forecast for this summer is another hot one.

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think ours was close to being one of the warmest years on record. I was in Gt Britain in 1988-1989 Not sure which summer it was but I remember talk then of water shortage in Kent. It was a beautiful summer (like our early autumn) never a drop of rain as we camped around the country for 4 weeks. I have been watching for years as my spring flowers come out in late autumn mid winter. At the moment the violets are coming out and the daffodil jonquil bulbs are well up Expect some action mid June. The self seeded prunus has changed its habit by about a month. This year my big white hairy dogs have re shed some winter growth they were putting on because of the warm autumn. The nesting birds seem to be working overtime as well now some good rain has finaly arrived.....and still the pollies procastinate....time to do something at grass root level.....

Liz