Clematis for west facing wall

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by lily, Mar 4, 2009.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Can someone please suggest a clematis that would grow on a west facing wall? It gets morning sun until around noon and sun the rest of the day. I am looking for a cream or white color.

1. Which type is best for southern BC or does it matter?

2. When is the best time to plant?

Thank you for your suggestions.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Any will do if of right mature size and flower color - as long as you keep the root zone cool and moist with stones or low shrubs. How big do you want it to get? Evergreen or deciduous?

3. lily

Thanks Ron,
    I'm not sure about the size. My trellis is about out 8'Lx6W'. I think an evergreen would be great.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If hardy there Clematis x cartmannii cultivars or similar forms that have been on local market recent years (haven't kept track or tried to sort them out) would probably be in scale for some time.

I see Clearview's Home of Clematis web site - http://www.homeofclematis.net/ - is showing C. x cartmannii 'Joe' as being quite tender but I have seen similar plants offered under different names down here - and similar plants have been growing in some Seattle gardens (haven't looked at any of them after this last winter). Similar dense profusion of smallish anemone-like flowers as C. montana but on a less-than-huge evergreen vine with lacey leaves. Don't know which of the ones living for at least a time here are 'Joe' and which, if any of these are another.

http://www.homeofclematis.net/cartmanii.html

Otherwise you are left with one of the somewhat inconspicuous and curious C. cirrhosa forms - and of course the coarse-textured and vigorous C. armandii, which requires regular pruning and training to make a small attractive specimen in a confined space.

5. lily

Thanks so much Ron for the links and your ideas on this. I'll go and check out those sites now. Much appreciated.