cidp stopped growing!!!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Canadianplant, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i have a canary island date palm indoors. i started it from seed and it was 2 leaves and the 3rd one aroudn half way grown in. it is in a 650g yogurt container but the roots have grown out the drainage holes. I am assuming that i need to repot it so it can start gowing again ( in a deeper pot too ). please correct me if im wrong.

p.s it is also in a south facing window

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Few plants can grow much with the short days we have now. Just not enough photosynthesis happening to support growth, your palm is probably just maintaining itself this time of year...which is good!

Repot when the days lengthen a bit, I would do it early March here. If you have a bit of control release fertilizer to incorporate in the mix, it will simplify fertilizing for the next growing season as well.

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

growest is right. In addition Phoenix species palms have vigorous root systems and can easily outgrow any container you put it in.

Cheers, LPN.

4. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

alright thanks gusy i was going to put it in miracle grow with "active moisture control" . used in for my fficus religiosa dn they loved it.