christmas palm dying in WPB,FL

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by floridaboston, Jan 21, 2010.

1. floridaboston

floridaboston Member

Hi,

Can anyone assist me in trying to save my Christmas palm tree here in WPB, FL? Over the past three weeks it looks like it is dying. The outer branches started first, then the canopy is now thin and the center root is brown. I added Miracle Grow's palm tree food last week and watered it pretty good. My neighbor next door to me and one down a few houses are having similar problems with their trees. They are about 12-13feet tall. Is there anything I can do? I hate to lose this great palm tree.

Is there a problem in Palm Beach County, FL with christmas palms?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
    West Palm Beach, FL

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

How cold did it get in West Palm over the last two weeks? My first thought is that the three palms are damaged by the cold.

3. floridaboston

floridaboston Member

Hi,

Thanks for your response.....Ithink it was about 30' just for one night. I have noticed a lot of dead palm branches from most of my palm trees falling off in the wind. Most of the palm look healthy and have strong center branches sprouting up in the middle. My christmas palm is the one in trouble....thanks again.

Steve

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the cold snap that damaged your palm tree. This one is not as tolerant of cold as the common Florida palms you see out in the Glades. They may recover, but could lose all the fronds or parts of all of them before you see new growth.

5. floridaboston

floridaboston Member

thanks for the info...I'll hope for new growth in the coming weeks....

Steve