Choosing the Right JM.....I'm stuck1

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kanayo101, Jun 8, 2014.

1. kanayo101

kanayo101 Member

Formerly from BC, I miss my Japanese Maples. Now I live in Canadian Zone 5-6 (downtown Toronto near the lake) and want to plant a Japanese Maple on the rooftop of our building. Its only about 12 stories off the ground but obviously gets exposed to direct sun for most of the day. To complicate things they would be planted in the center of 5x5x5' planters spaced 10' apart and then filled with plants around them. (see website)

I really want an alternating green and bright red combination like Fireglow or Oshio Beni and Pink Lace but realize they probably won't be able to take the rooftop climate.

Any ideas? I'm stuck...

2. Phyllostachys

Phyllostachys Member

Hi Kanayo,

Here in Montreal Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' seems to be the most popular Japanese maple and has red foliage. It survives here without winter protection though not usually seen in very windy sites like a rooftop. Last winter was pretty bitter and the 'Bloodgood's around town haven't had any winter dieback.

I'm not sure which is the best green-leaved cultivar for our climate. The only place I have seen mature green-leaved japanese maples in Montreal are in the botanical garden.

Since you're on a rooftop, it would probably be wise to wrap them up in the winter to shield them from the wind.