Cherry Tree removal - is there wood value

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by sw8689, May 18, 2010.

1. sw8689

sw8689 Member

I have finaly decided to have our old cherry tree removed. We have spent a couple thousand dollars over the past five years trying to stop the aphid kill and whatever else is eating the leaves every summer and have decided it just isn't going to be the lush tree it mush have been long ago. Our guess is that it is was planted approx. 40 years ago up hear on fromme mountan. We hard pruned it last year and it is now about 25-30 feet tall, and I noticed this week the upper leaves are being gobbled up again. The rest of my garden is covered in green and black aphids and I am using insecticidal soap to combat them, but the tree is too tall for me.

I don't want to spend any more money on this treee if I don't have to and I am wondering if there is a market for it's wood for furniture builders etc. I don't want the money, just want it removed, is this something that one lists on craigslist or am I dreaming?

Also, if someone has a miracle cure for this poor tree, and it is not expensive, I would try one last thing.

Thank you all,
    Sandra

2. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

The local woodworkers guild might gladly accept a donation, but long story short, there isn't a tree company that will remove your tree at no charge in exchange for timber.

3. Green Crown

Green Crown Active Member 10 Years

Have you tried ladybugs?

4. sw8689

sw8689 Member

Yes, I did try lady bugs last year, and garlic a garlic broth that I mad that worked better than anything. But, to have lost so many leaves before I can even get out there this year and get started is so demoralizing. If I do, will new leaves grow back this summer?

5. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

Trees in good health have a fair amount of stored energy. Tough to say how many times it will recover from having to regrow a good number of their leaves though.

Its also tough to decide which way to go, pay for continued treatment, let it be, or pay for removal. Also tough to say if the company giving you advice is trying to make more money doing one or the other.

What kind of area is the Cherry tree planted in? I have removed a white ash which was overhanging my house because of a split low down in the trunk. If it was 200 feet up the hill from my house I might have let the fella stand or just cut off a 1/3 of the tree. What I'm getting at is if the cherry tree isn't going to hurt anyone if it falls maybe put it on a longer leash.

6. Green Crown

Green Crown Active Member 10 Years

can you post a picture of the tree from as far back as possible, showing its planting location, and other surrounding vegetation?